Thursday, September 30, 2010

$5 Chair Freshened Up

I spotted this chair at a yard sale a few weekends ago, in slightly worse condition:o) My sister in law was with and me, and we had a really good time. Every time she comes to visit we end up going to yard sales, and every time she says she needs to remember to bring cash. She never gets anything, and I end up spending every last cent that I have on me. I think I even borrowed 25 cents from her??? But regardless, we had a good time.
So this is what the chair looked like when I brought it home:
I liked the white, but it was dingy, and the previous owner had brushed the paint on, so there was a lot of uneven brush strokes all over the chair. In it's first life, I think this chair was RED. You can kind of see the red popping thru in places where the white has chipped off.
 Now the seat cover was completely disgusting. It was vinyl at one point, but because the chair is so old, it was cracked and peely. When I removed the cover, there will little creepy crawlies in it too...EWWWWW! 
Because the cushion was so funky, I used some egg shell crate I had lying around to serve as the chair cushion. I just cut two to size and laid the egg shells facing one another on the seat. I then covered it with low loft batting. Then stapled the fabric to the seat.
I gave the chair a fresh coat of white. I made sure to spray paint it instead of brushing b/c it is just easier, plain and simple. Plus, who wants to have to brush that chair out with all those corners...not I said the crafter!
I found this fabric at a discount fabric store that is about an hour from here. I REALLY wanted to make curtains out of it, but they only had the one remnant that I purchased:( However, I will be making some pillow  covers with this material. Can't wait:o)
 There's my little place mat pillow.
 I did distress the edges just a bit so that the red could pop back thru. S.R. wanted to have her picture taken...look at that sweet little hand...with Dorito laden thumbnail. 
 Before
 After
Not a whole lot of change, but change nonetheless. 
Dentist appointments for the kids today...S.R.'s first time...say a little prayer for mommy's sanity;o)
Happy Thursday!
Linking up to
Miss Mustard Seed
Tatertots and Jello

13 comments:

"AAmores" Crafts, Sewing and other Stuff said... Best Blogger Tips

Good Job. This makem me want to get in the car saturday morning looking for a ugly chair to make it pretty lol Love it!

Cayce said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE the chair refurb. It goes so well with your decor, too.
Enjoying your blog as always... :)
Thanks for sharing!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said... Best Blogger Tips

Your chair turned out great! Love the pattern on the back and arms. Great fabric too.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said... Best Blogger Tips

This turned out great! Love the fabric you chose.

Lucydesignsart.com said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this! what a quick transformation....love that sign too! visiting from Miss Mustard Seed

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said... Best Blogger Tips

What a pretty transformation, I knew you were onto something that chair has great lines! What a steal!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

that chair makes me want to go to yard sales...maybe. I love the lines, what a great find!

Julie said... Best Blogger Tips

Really cute chair! It looks great there.

Jill said... Best Blogger Tips

What a beautiful freshening up! It looks like you could have spent a lot of money in a store on it!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the lines of this chair. Good eye! Fabric and color choice...perfect!

Michelle {Daydream Believers} said... Best Blogger Tips

Great chair! I love a good garage sale find! :) M*

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

That is such a neat chair with it's different back! I love that you sanded so the red would peek through - it looks fantastic with your sweet red piece in the corner!!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, I love it! Looks refreshed to me!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia