Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 2-Minnie Mouse Skirt & Ears Tutorial


I hope that you all had a great Monday. Yesterday was E's first day of preschool. He did great. I did great until I had to leave him. S.R. and I both cried when we got in the vehicle:( She cried b/c she wanted to stay at "pwe-skoo." I cried for the obvious reasons. He was unsure about being there, but when I came to pick him up he was all smiles.
So anyway, on to day 2 of Disney Week. Today I have the bottom half of a Minnie Mouse outfit. I have a white t-shirt to go with the skirt. I am going to have it monogrammed soon. I am sharing 2 tutorials today. For the skirt and the ears hair bows. The bloomers are a pair of shorts just like the Snow White shorts, but I ran elastic thru the cuffs of the legs and added the eyelet trim. L-O-V-E It!

Here's what you need:
Skirt:


-2 Coordinating Fabrics
-Elastic
-Thread

Hair Bows:


-Black Felt
-1" Grosgrain Ribbon
-Extra Thin Ribbon(not sure the measurements on the small ribbon)
-Thread and Needle
-Stick Pin
-Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
-Alligator Clips

Directions on the Skirt:

This skirt measures for a size 3T. Make your adjustments accordingly. Cut 8 4"x11" strips from the red and 8 6"x11" strips from the black.
Next, you just start sewing the long sides together, alternating colors. If you have a serger, that's great. If not, make sure to zig zag the edges to cut down on fraying. I did a straight seam first, and then a zig zag stitch.
Once you have sewn all of the pieces together, connect into a complete circle. 

Press. Try to get all the seams pressed down in the same direction. This will help you later when running the elastic thru the casing. For the hem you will need to press 3/4" down and fold it under again and press to hide all raw edges. You will want to do the same for the waist, except fold down  1", and turn under, hiding all raw edges.
Stitch a seam all the way across the hem as close to the edge as possible. On the waist, you will want to leave an opening to run your elastic thru. Cut the elastic to the desired length. Put a safety pin on each end, and run it thru the casing.

Sew the ends together, making sure that the elastic hasn't turned, and stitch up your hole.
For the tulle skirt underneath, I just folded over the fabric ran a running stitch all the way down 1" from the fold. 
 Run the elastic thru and then sew up the seam. There was some excess, so I just trimmed the bottom when I was finished. Tulle doesn't fray, so no hemming:o)
Now for the ears:
Here is a pic of the supplies:

Make yourself a circle pattern. I used a circle cutter and it is 2 1/2" in diameter. Pin to felt, and cut 2.
Now here comes the tricky part. I will do my best to explain how to make the hair bows, but you may be better off searching online for some tips:o)
I made a 2" hair bow, so fold the ribbon over itself until you have this:
Can you see that there is 2 loops on each side? Now flare those pieces out...
Take your needle and thread and stitch that into place. Tie it off. Then wrap the thread tightly around the ribbon to make it look like this:
Make sure to tie that off as well. Now comes the fun part...hot glue...get ready to get singed;o)
Take the thin ribbon and place it in the center. 
Place a small dot of glue on the back and wrap the ribbon around the thread. I know the picture looks like the ribbon is already wrapped around, but it isn't:o) I wound the thread around several times, and the flash bounced off of the thread.
Glue the bow to the circles, and then glue the circles to the alligator clips, making sure to have the clips facing opposite directions. 
And that's it:o)
Ta-da
And because I love you all so very much....I am giving a pair of ears away to one lucky reader:o)
Just leave a comment on this post, and I will announce the winner on Friday! Have a great day my lovelies!!
Giveaway is Closed.

20 comments:

Bitsmommy said... Best Blogger Tips

That is adorable! You are so talented!

Jana said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the skirt. Looks easy enough, I may have to try it! And LOVE the Minnie bows!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

too cute! I would love to see her face every time you show her something new! :)

Mandy said... Best Blogger Tips

These are so stinkin Cute! Take lots of business cards... cause mamma's are gonna be wanting these outfits!

Jill said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this-my daughter wants a Minnie party this year-so I definitely need to make this outfit!

AmandaRose said... Best Blogger Tips

this is just to cute I have a niece who will be three in a month and is in LOVE with minnie mouse thank you so much for the tutorial it will be put to good use, I have tons of little girl tutorials on my blog if you want to come check it out i'm following for sure :)

Amanda
http://patriciaraedesigns.blogspot.com/

Lori said... Best Blogger Tips

SOOO CUTE!!!! We are going to Disneyland at the end of September. I need to make this for my granddaughter.

maryann said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it. Can not wait to get started on this!

Beagoodmom said... Best Blogger Tips

That's very creative and cute! Love the ears!

The Angry Jackalope said... Best Blogger Tips

Ohh! Love it! We're just in the planning stages of Halloween costumes, but I think my daughter wants to be Minnie this year. Thanks for the giveaway!

Cassandra said... Best Blogger Tips

I just saw your blog via one pretty thing. I love the outfit! We're taking my daughter to disneyland for her first bday next week. She already has a minnie outfit but definitly needs the clippies. Thanks for the tutorial!

Kate said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the new twist you gave to dressing up like Minnie mouse. I loved it and featured it on my blog.

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips

You make it look so easy. Love it.

cnydalynn said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this skirt and these cute ears! If I don't win I think I am going to have to make some:)

Luludou said... Best Blogger Tips

Too cute!! I posted the link at the Magical Holiday Home forum in the Great Pumpkin Day thread for my friends to see :)

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said... Best Blogger Tips

So cute!! I am bummed that the giveaway is closed! Stopping by from Tt&J

mandi

Ann @ makethebestofthings said... Best Blogger Tips

So cute and clever and well done!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said... Best Blogger Tips

wow! This is super darling!!! This just makes me ache to have a little girl!

lilacdragonflys said... Best Blogger Tips

I just love the bloomers you have un this skirt. do you have a pattern or a tutorial for them?

djjdjdjdjd said... Best Blogger Tips

@lilacdragonflys

I used a shorts pattern, stitched the eyelet lace on the bottom, and attached the elastic where the two met. Hope this helps!