Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dr. Seuss' Thing 1 & Thing 2 Shirts

We are headed to Florida soon for a vacation, and we have decided to visit Universal Studios this year. We have been to Disney the past 2 years, and the hubs and I are kinda wanting to mix things up a bit. The kids have no idea we are going there. They think it's JUST a beach trip...:o)
 If you have been following me for a while, you know that I did a whole ensemble for the kids to wear to Disney.
To see those outfits, you can go HereHereHere, &  Here.
We are planning to go to Universal  for only 2 days, so I only need 2 outfits:o)
Here is the first matching outfit:
To make these super easy and super cute shirts, here is a list of supplies you will need:
Red t-shirt
White tee or white stretchy fabric
Light Fabric Transfers(found at any craft store or Walmart)
Heat Bond...I prefer the kind that you can sew on.
scissors
iron
thread 
sewing machine
 Start out by washing and drying your tees. That is to ensure that your shirts don't shrink, or the transfers do not bleed through the fabric. Cut your white tee in half. I made sure to iron any wrinkles out, so as to have a smooth look with the steam OFF.
 After printing the decals out onto your heat transfer paper...using the mirror image function...lay them out on the heat bond to see how much you will need. 

 Lay the heat bond stick'em side down on the inside of the tee, and iron in place. Let cool.
 Lay your decal face down and trace around the edges on the heat bond backing. I turned the decal face down so that I wouldn't accidentally draw on the decal:o) Cut around the edges.
 And it should look a little something like this.
 Now get your red tee. Pull the backing off of the heat bonded circle.
 Center it on the tee with the stick'em side down.
 Now lay your decal over the circle making sure that the letters are lined up and not tilted to the side.
Iron for about 45 seconds, making sure to press down hard. The instructions on the transfers say to NOT use an ironing board. I laid some scrap fabric under the tee to give it a little cushion. 
 Let the shirt sit for 2 minutes and then remove the backing. For added stability, I sewed around the black line.
 And there you have it:o) Very easy, and very Universal Studios ready
If you would like to make these cute shirts just click below to download the files!!
and


18 comments:

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

First - These are cute!
Second - Are you seriously wearing a long sleeve shirt?!

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jessica
I knew someone would point out that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt:o) Our electricity went out and was off all night long. It was playing catch up so the house was freezing!

DesignDazzle.blogspot.com said... Best Blogger Tips

i love this idea! Such a fun t-shirt to wear to Disneyland. Thanks for linking : )

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I absolutely love your idea and I appreciate that you uploaded the artwork. I looked for a matching font, but couldn't find the right one--I need to make Things 1 to 14 for a Halloween event. Do you remember which font you used? I (and the group of Things) would be grateful for any help!!! Thanks!----C in the H

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous
I found pictures of Thing 1 & Thing 2 online, and made them bigger...I couldn't find the font that I liked...the only thing I could find was the "Grinch" font...sorry I couldn't be of more help!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, anyway! Good to know I wasn't just missing the "Thing" font. Great idea, though!

Beverly said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for the great instructions. Some of our teachers decided to be Thing 1 and up for each grade level. We used your instructions and downloaded a nice font to use. The shirts turned out nice.

HeidiL said... Best Blogger Tips

You are a lifesaver...I needed the Thing 1 & Thing 2 Templates...I will be back...THANK YOU!!!!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you so much. So easy and so cute!

sarai c: said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello c: I have three questions for you. The first one would be that if you could make a youtube video? I understand this put I'm more of a visual learner. The second one would be if you happened to know how to make Thing 1 and Thing 2 beanies? The last question would be if the same instructions apply for making Spy 1and Spy 2 shirts? My bestfriend and I call each other spy's and I would love to make him a shirt or Jeanie for Christmas. c:

Solin Goldberg said... Best Blogger Tips

I have a t-shirt company, and did a thing 1-7 for a customer for Haloween. But I could make 1-100 if need be!If you need the "Thing Shirts" shoot me an email. distinkt.tees@gmail.com

ea tropilo said... Best Blogger Tips

OMGosh I just found this tutorial and you ROCK! Thank you so much for the step by step. And for the FREE logo download....I couldn't believe how much some people charged for just a font and you went and did the whole thing for me for FREE!! THank you!!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

The PDF files you have are not mirror imaged. Please help! I really want to make these shirts for Seuss day tomorrow but I can't print these images onto my transfer paper until they are mirror imaged. Thank you!

Melanie Allred said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks a bunch this really helped me pull together halloween costumes for my boys!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the idea, but have to agree with the above commenter that cannot print without these mirror-imaged first. I've been trying to get my printer to do it for about 45 minutes now and I'm pulling my hair out! HP is no help either. Can't believe there isn't a button to just click when I can choose image transfer paper as an option for the paper. So frustrated!!!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

So I never did get the printer to flip the image and the pdf wouldn't allow me to do a flip either. I ended up printing the pdf, putting it against a window with the sun behind it, filling in the print with a black sharpie on the back of the sheet (so it ends up the reverse image), and then using the copy feature on the printer to print onto the image transfer sheet.

Thank you for the original pdf--these turned out great!

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for the PDF! Saved me some time. Someone may have already mentioned it, but I used the DARK shirt transfer paper and you don't have to flip the image. Also, the white totally covered the red shirt without the white tshirt under, so I skipped that step. Just printed it on the dark shirt transfer paper and ironed it on my red shirt. Easy... thanks again!

Marie Lewis said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the input. That sounds much easier!