Sunday, August 29, 2010

Menu Board Tutorial

For Updated Info on this Post, 
Click HERE.

I know that I normally save my tutorials for Tuesdays, but I finally got this thing hung and wanted to share it with you now:o) I just couldn't wait. This is my menu board:
This piece of wood has been sitting in our garage for quite some time now. It was a scrap piece of wood left over from S.R.'s Dollhouse Bookshelf. I thought I was going to make it into one of those antique looking clock faces that Pottery Barn had on the front of their catalog for ages. So I painted it. The board was so thin, that after being painted it started to draw up on itself. The hubs decided to make a frame for it on the backside to make it more sturdy. He did an excellent job. I tried my hardest to get a good even circle, but that was a waste of time and energy. So I had to totally scratch the idea of an antique clock face. 
One day while staring at this blank board, I finally got the idea to turn it into a menu board. Not sure where the idea came from, but I knew that I had to do it.
So this is what I started with
My blank board and
My trusty chalkboard spray paint. This stuff lasts forever. This is the 3rd project I have used it on. Unbelievable!
I taped off the board into 6 sections. Why 6 and not 7? I don't cook on Sundays. That is my day of rest where I do absolutely nothing but Glorify the Heavenly Father and eat like waaaay too much food:o) Hallelujah, praise God!
Once the sections were taped off, I covered the top and bottom with newspaper to catch the over spray.
When all the paint was dry, I removed the tape very carefully and got this:
Don't you just love the clean lines that tape leaves. I always get a little giddy after seeing a straight line pulled off:o)
Now this board sat for a very long time with it looking like this. I really didn't know what I wanted to do. Then the Hank Williams song "Hey Good Lookin' " started running thru my head and I knew that was what needed to be on the board. 
I borrowed my neighbor's Cricut machine....(thanks Holly!!!)....and cut all the letters out of black & white vinyl. While I was at it, I went ahead and made labels for all of my jars too. It makes things so much easier now when I am baking. I never second guess myself:o)  
Here is a closer look at some of the lettering
I just hand painted the scrolly work at the corners. Nothing too professional:o)
(This was last week's menu...appetizing, eh?)
So here's the before of this area in my kitchen
Nothing too spectacular 
And the after
More fabulous than not...HA! And just so you know, the board is hanging straight, I just can't hold a camera straight;o)
The board is a little on the blendy side with the wall color, but I am hoping to fix that shortly. Not sure on the paint color, but I do know that there will be COLOR:o)
Hope you guys like it and I hope you have a great day!!
********
Updated Color:
(don't pay attention to the terrible lines across the ceiling....the painters were there to patch the ceiling and they messed up my beautiful straight lines:( It's all better now, though)

LINKING UP TO THESE PARTIES:
AND

Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello


Visit thecsiproject.com

52 comments:

Deanna said... Best Blogger Tips

Really cute menu board!

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

totally lovin' your flour containers! oh, and the sign. ;)

Mandy said... Best Blogger Tips

GREAT idea!... I love it! Or as Wes would say... I Yub It!

missk8t said... Best Blogger Tips

This board looks fantastic! I just wish my kitchen had some more space in it so I could do something similar.

Melissa said... Best Blogger Tips

LOVE it! I also love your flour containers! I really wish I had more space to do something like this.

Kulla Klan said... Best Blogger Tips

That is adorable! I love it . . . and I'd love to make one . . . now to see if there'd be room in the kitchen for it anywhere . . .
Aimee

Wendy said... Best Blogger Tips

Absolutely fabulous!

malia said... Best Blogger Tips

hi this is brilliant, i love it. and you're right about the nice lines from using the tape. looks really clean.

malia said... Best Blogger Tips

ok i'm your newest follower. hope you come visit me too... and on thursday i'd love it if you linked this up to a new party we're starting-- a crafty soiree
have a great day!

Stacie said... Best Blogger Tips

Very CuTe! Great job on the hand painting! :) Thanks for sharing!

BTW...I featured it here:

http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/08/fun-menu-board-idea.html

Thanks again! :)

Jess said... Best Blogger Tips

really cute and creative! love it!

Rachelle said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great idea! Love this!

Alison said... Best Blogger Tips

What an ADORABLE idea! I love this because my menu board is small enough that I can only write what we are having for dinner that night... with yours, you can get a whole week in there! Awesome!

Katie's Nesting Spot said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it, it's so cute plus it's a great way to fill the wall and still be functional. The font is super cute too! I so need to get that cartridge.

Erin said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this menu board! What a fun idea!

Brooke said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this menu board! Everything about it I adore. Thanks for sharing your wonderful project. I will be linking to it.
Brooke
thecraftcave.blogspot.com

Kara Marie said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE this idea!!!! Currently, I have our menu plans for the week on printer paper :( haha - so this would be MUCH nicer. I love the quote you put - it reminds me of my dad as he use to sing this part of the song whenever he got home from work!!! love love love it!!

http://oneplusoneequalslove.blogspot.com/

Lifeaswearelivingit said... Best Blogger Tips

I looooooooooove the menu board. What size is it?

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said... Best Blogger Tips

What a clever idea! It came out great! I love the lettering on the containers too. Oh, and that butcher block table top is pretty awesome as well!

Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy said... Best Blogger Tips

Ok.. loving this too! This just gave me another idea for my dining room I am presently decorating! Thanks for that. I will probably pinterest this post too once I get it to work.
Thanks!

1 Funky Woman said... Best Blogger Tips

this fits perfectly in that space. Like it was meant to be! I love it! This is exactly the size of wood I am looking for, for a project. Where did you get it? Also love the butcher block table and your new paint color.

What is is called?

I linked up also with my chalkboard but mine is pretty boring compared to yours!

I'm now your newest follower!

Megan

Leslie said... Best Blogger Tips

Just found this via pinterest. I LOVE IT! Thanks for the great tutorial I will have this up in my house within a months time

RebekkahGrace said... Best Blogger Tips

What size is the board? What did you paint it with? I'd like to make one for my kitchen too!

Amanda Jones said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the menu board! What font did you use? It's just perfection!!

cajungal01 said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! You did a great job, this is ADORABLE! My Sister really wants one, well..for me to make one for her..and I was wondering: how have your vinyl letters held up against being wiped often when erasing? If you could let me know, that would be great. I'm trying to determine if the vinyl would hold up or if I need to stencil/paint the days of the week.
THANKS!
:0)
~robin

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@cajungal01
Hey Robin. The vinyl has held up well. I haven't had any problems with it. I even occasionally wipe it down with a wet towel and still haven't had any issues. Good luck with yours!!

Little Bit said... Best Blogger Tips

Very Cute! I love it. found you through Shabby Creek, then Pocket Exchange. Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

Little Bit said... Best Blogger Tips

oh and I'm pinning it. so I'm super new to Pinterest, in fact you're the first pin I'm doing!! Little Bit from DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Can you make me one of these menu boards??

shannacoy said... Best Blogger Tips

Could you tell me what the dimensions are of the board, the chalkboard squares and how large you made the vinyl letters? Thank you. SO going to make this for my kitchen.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you remember what the Cricut cartridge was called?

Oneblogginmomma said... Best Blogger Tips

What exactly did your husband do for the frame on the back of the menu board? Love the idea!

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@Oneblogginmomma Check out this updated link for pics of the back..http://fussymonkeybiz.blogspot.com/2012/02/menu-board-update.html

Shaira@Real Estate Bretton-Wood said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice idea! I have all this excess boards in my garage and I was thinking of throwing it. Well now I have good use for them.

Sara Pierce said... Best Blogger Tips

NEW TO YOUR BLOG and totally LOVING it!
My hubs and I are introducing a new diet to the house so this will be a GREAT help for planning meals! Thank you for sharing!
Now all I need to do is find a place for it!

jakarta hotel said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

rumah dijual jakarta said... Best Blogger Tips

working ,great job!
Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

@Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business
ok...i WILL be doing this at the end of my kitchen!! Where in this world did you find your oversized glass canisters?? You did a fab job on the board!

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@AnonymousThe canisters came from Walmart..I think they were around $9 each.

KendraD said... Best Blogger Tips

Do you remember what font cartridge you used for this? I love everything about it!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks great! I'd paint your wall an eggplant green or a brick red behind it.

Little Blue's Room said... Best Blogger Tips

I absolutely LOVE this and just might steal it for a space in my own home! Great job - thanks so much for sharing!

Korie said... Best Blogger Tips

I made my menu board inspired by yours, because I loved it so much. Now I need to add some zing to it cause it just looks to stiff. I used a stiffy font because that was all I had for stickers. Zing will come tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

What is your board size and how big are the squares?! This is very cute for the kitchen!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

@Deanna

What did you use to adhere the letters to both the jars and the board?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

What did you use to adhere the letters to the board as well as to the jars? Also, do you know what font you used?

Crystal Waggoner said... Best Blogger Tips

The letters are vinyl. I used a cricut to cut them out. I'm not sure which cartridge it was...sorry!

OSr Group said... Best Blogger Tips

I really do love this.
Flush door Manufacturer in India

San Diego Hills said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it!! very creative
Kanopi
Teralis
parfum

Nancy Medina said... Best Blogger Tips

I love it!! My next project for sure! I would like to know how many inches is each letter?

poker online uang asli said... Best Blogger Tips

Please visit...

Agen Domino99

Alison Schemmer said... Best Blogger Tips

I pinned this tutorial a long time ago, and finally got around to making my version of it this summer. I just blogged about how awesome this tutorial was & how it helped me so much! You can see pictures of my version at http://schemmerhomestretch.blogspot.com/2015/10/kitchen-menu-board.html if you are interested! Thank you!